The national museums in Berlin had compiled a comprehensive exhibition with over 500 works to mark the centenary of “Brücke” on 7th June 2005. Focussing on a selection from the brilliant Berlin exhibition, the Kunsthalle der Hypo-Kulturstiftung had also payed tribute to this most important group of expressionist artists, whose members had been represented in the Kunsthalle in individual exhibitions over the past years. Following on from this tradition there were shown around 200 paintings, sculptures and works on paper by these expressionist artists in Munich.
History of “Brücke”
The group was founded in Dresden by Fritz Bleyl, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Erich Heckel and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff. They were searching for an original, unaffected means of expression as a rebellion against the prevailing conventions. They were soon joined by Max Pechstein and also, briefly, Emil Nolde. When they moved to Berlin in 1910, Otto Mueller also became a member of the group.